Friday, July 16, 2010

Girls Inc. Inspiring the Future!!!

As an intern, I’ve been given the opportunity to teach lessons and the instructor has always been present while doing so. On July 15, 2010, however, I was to teach and instruct the class without the formal instructor. I became the instructor for the morning with my own volunteer. Anxious and nervous, I thoroughly planned the day. After all, the day turned out fine. The girls paid attention and completed tasks. I believe there are a few factors which contributed to this successful independent teaching experience.

First of all, I’ve been able to observe the teaching qualities of the instructor I work alongside. As a result, I’m familiar with teaching and know what’s tolerated and allowed. Another important factor is that I’m at Girls Inc. almost all week. The girls see me consistently and I believe that has made a huge impact in them respecting and taking me seriously. I recommend all the interns and volunteers of Girls Inc. to spend more time at the facility because our presence is valued and it benefits the girls and us when we can put a name and personality to a face. The girls know I have a good relationship with their instructor and that disrespecting me would mean disrespecting her.

Another factor is that I had a lot of support from my co-workers, other volunteers and interns. There were a few situations when I didn’t know exactly what to do or how to answer certain questions, but those around me, helped me out. I really did not expect this, but it was a pleasant surprise. There was great communication between the employees, volunteers and myself. Most importantly, I felt I had a great support team. Having a great support team is a factor I want to be part of my future and professional life. I first experienced it here, at Girls Inc.

No comments: